Aha it’s that time of the year again!
Happy 1st of July, readers! We’ve successfully completed 6 levels of 2020 and now heading further! 👀
Well, I know, this was supposed to be posted in June but umm – no worries, here it is! This year have been so weird, honestly. I don’t see ourselves getting out of this quarantine and lockdown anytime soon ugh. There just seems no end to this pandemic. I’ve got enough time to read, though, and I devoured a lot of books during these months so at least that’s something positive. Anyway, that apart, let’s get to the tag now, shall we?
1. Best book you’ve read so far in 2020
- A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder, hands down. I’ve been obsessed with this book ever since I read it in May. It’s one of the finest and perfect mysteries I’ve read, with absolutely amazing writing and clever twists all throughout.
Following this, in the favorites’ list are also Michigan vs. the boys, Ninth House, Surrender your Sons, The Invincible Summer of Juniper Jones and The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo!
- Best sequel you’ve read so far in 2020
- Good Girl, Bad Blood by Holly Jackson. To be very honest, though, I’ve not read another sequel other than this haha. So GG, BB definitely steals the show. It is, after all, a perfect mystery and I love it too much, I’m literally shoving it on people’s faces!
- New release you haven’t read but want to
- Okay, I mean, there are too many to count! So many amazing new books have released this year already and I wish I could read all of them. But on the top of this list definitely is A Song of Wraiths and Ruins. I mean, would you look at that gorgeous cover? And the story sounds too good! I just want to read it as soon as I can get myself a copy, ahh! And, umm, The Black Flamingo and Felix Ever After. Argh, so many amazing books hitting shelves recently.
- Most anticipated release for the second half of the year
- I’m not usually at par with new releases at all, but one book that I’m really looking forward to is Surrender your Sons. I’ve been lucky enough to read an e-arc of it, thanks to Netgalley, and I just love this book too much. A gay thriller set in a conversion camp – YES PLEASE!!! And umm, I’m so excited for Star Daughter too 🤩
- Biggest disappointment
- Okay, how do I even put it, ah. So, I’ve had quite a few disappointing reads this year and one that tops it is – umm – The Hundred-Year-Old Man who jumped out of the window and disappeared – I swear to God. This book infuriated me so much and took more than a month to complete because it was simply too boring. Too much dump of history that I don’t think was necessary. I just couldn’t deal with this book and skipped most of the parts just to see how it ends. Following this in a close lead are also, The anti-virginity pact, Havenfall and Nevernight as a few disappointing reads.
- Biggest surprise
- I’m not big on sports centric books and hence, I decided to pick up Michigan vs. The Boys a year after being accepted for its review copy on Netgalley. And needless to say, I was surprised by how much I loved this book. It was too amazing and made me sob and I loved it. It was so powerful, the story, featuring a strong female player in the midst of a boys’ team and making her way through. Just, so poweful! I remember weeping at one point 🥺
- Favorite new author
- I think it would be Holly Jackson. I loved AGGGTM and its follow up, Good Girl, Bad Blood, so much that I think I’ll read anything from her now. And I’m so eagerly waiting for her next books in this series ahh!
- Newest fictional crush
- Umm, Darlington *puppy eyes* Look, I’m very much drawn to mysterious and dark and brooding characters okay and Darlington seemed to fall under all of these categories. Also, he sounds quite hot.
- Newest favorite character
- Rowan from Today, Tonight, Tomorrow! I related to her on a very spiritual level, it seems, and she is a suck up reader who dreams of a perfect romance (I mean, who doesn’t right? All of us wants a Mr. Darcy type of lover). And so does Rowan, who’s expectations kind of ruin the reality of romance, and – ahem – if that isn’t us readers, I don’t know who else 👀
- Book that made you cry
- The Invincible Summer of Juniper Jones. I cried like a hurt baby at the end and I couldn’t stop and I had to stop myself from reading for a while because I couldn’t see the screen through my tears. Yeah. It is a sad, sad and beautiful book.
- Book that made you happy
- Love & Gelato. It made me so giddy inside, with all the mentions of ice cream and gelato and tasty Italian food. And the whole setting just made me swoon and run off to Italy somehow. I remember smiling as I finished the book, so beautiful!
- Most beautiful book you’ve bought so far this year
- Okay, this is a terribly difficult question because the last time I bought any book was back in January. And I somehow don’t remember which they were. So, for now this question remains unanswered.
- What books do you need to read by the end of the year?
- At the beginning of this year, I made a small list of books I’d read this year. They were probably just ten books and I read a few of them and most of the books in the list are back in my hostel (eff you, corona). Nevertheless, here are few books I hope to read before the year ends –
Unravel the Dusk
When the moon was ours
The Wicker King
Strange the Dreamer
The Night Circus
The House in the Cerulean Sea
Okay, let’s not get ahead of ourselves here haha! I’m such a big mood reader, I’m so sure these books will be unread next year too haha!
Thank you for reading it!! Do let me know about your favorites and anticipated books!!